Tuesday, April 13, 2004

YOU MUST NOT DEFEND YOURSELF!

Only the State can do that -- but they don't!

"Parents expect their kids to be safe when they're in school. But one mother says that wasn't the case at Savannah High School. A few weeks ago, her son was in the cafeteria when kids came onto school grounds and attacked him. And her son was suspended for defending himself.

We spoke with Brenda Johnson, the teen's mother, as well as people at the Board of Education. School officials say it's all part of the zero tolerance policy which means no weapons, drugs or any kind of violence on campus. But Johnson says school policy not only violates her son's civil liberties, but he is an innocent victim

Her son, senior Alejandro Johnson, says he is a victim of the zero tolerance policy. "I was attacked," he said. "I was in the right, 100 percent. I was where I was supposed to be doing what I was supposed to be doing."

Alejandro says he was eating lunch inside the school cafeteria when kids came off the street and into the cafeteria and started beating him up. He says he had no choice but to stand up for himself. "I was defending myself and I feel like I was backed into a corner," he said.

That day, everyone involved was arrested, and on top of that Alejandro was suspended for ten days."

More here

No comments: