Saturday, December 27, 2003

ANIMAL RESEARCH IS VERY INCORRECT

Better to let people die preventable deaths

"The Sunday Times published the details of a leaked Cabinet Office document on 21 December 2003, which suggested that Professor Colin Blakemore was not recommended for a knighthood because of his 'controversial work on vivisection'. Blakemore says he is now reconsidering his position as chief executive of the Medical Research Council (MRC).

This is not a case of sour grapes. Blakemore tells me 'it has nothing to do with whether I deserve an honour or not - that is not the issue'. His concern is that these revelations may discourage scientists from speaking out on controversial matters. 'My research is not particularly controversial', he points out; 'neither in terms of the animals I have experimented on - mice - nor in terms of the techniques I have adopted. But the point is that I have spoken out on these issues.' Indeed, Blakemore is one of the few British scientists who has consistently spoken out in favour of animal research".

More here. Background on the courageous Prof. Blakemore here.

No comments: