Saturday, October 04, 2003

DOLL CORRECTNESS

David Biggs says:

Just how silly can the human race get? We have become so obsessed about being politically correct that we tend to forget what we actually set out to do.

I couldn't help chuckling when I read about a kindergarten teacher in a village near Salisbury (the one in England, not Harare) who was rebuked by the authorities for not providing the children in her care with "ethnic minority or disabled" dolls to play with.

Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

She is apparently expected to provide a black doll, a Chinese doll, a doll wearing an sari and a doll in a wheelchair, or at least on crutches.

She was also ordered to provide special meals to mark cultural occasions, such as the Chinese New Year or Bastille Day.

I was sent to a strictly Anglican Church boarding school and brought up in what I suppose was a rather closed Calvinistic community. But that didn't cause me to faint or fall over when I went to university and met Jews and Muslims for the first time.

No comments: