Friday, October 02, 2015

Multicultural mother-of-five 'made £1.5m running a high-class escort agency while also claiming £117,000 in benefits'

A mother-of-five made £1.5million running a high-class escort agency with former TOWIE star Maria Fowler on its books while claiming £117,000 in benefits and tax credits, a court heard.

Janine Adeleke, 42, claimed state handouts while running agency Carltons Of London from her seaside home Bexhill-On-Sea, East Sussex.

One of her children was sent to the exclusive Roedean boarding school for girls, while her family had private medical insurance and membership to the David Lloyd gym.

She is now facing jail after being found guilty of seven counts of cheating the revenue, fraud and money laundering at Canterbury Crown Court yesterday.

At the start of the trial, Allastair Walker, prosecuting, told the jury that for eight years between November 2006 and October last year Adeleke had failed to disclose significant income - much of which came from the escort business.

'During this period she claimed state benefits including Income Support, Council Tax benefit and carer's allowance,' he said.

The jury heard that in July 2011, when she suspected that Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) investigators were on her trail ,she laundered receipts through accounts in the name of her elderly and frail mother.

The court heard that the total loss to taxpayers as a result of Adeleke's fraud was £367,000.

She had claimed benefits of £37,000, including Income Support for herself and her five children, from 2006 to 2011 - totalling £28,468.22, Council Tax Benefit, from 2007 to 2011, of £6,151.87 and Carer's Allowance, for looking after her elderly mother from October 2010, of £3,280.20.

She also claimed a total of £80,372 in tax credits from November 2006 to April 2014.

Adeleke also avoided nearly £250,000 of income tax and national insurance payments by not declaring her income from the escort agency.


Outrage as public crematorium takes down wooden cross that's been in place for more than 50 years because it might offend non-Christians

A Christian cross has been removed from a crematorium so as to avoid offending followers of different religions.

Council bosses opted to take down Accrington Crematorium's large wooden cross - the symbol of Christianity - after growing concern about how secular groups responded to it.

It will now only be put up for individual services on request, after being the centrepiece of the crematorium for half a century.

The decision has outraged many in the area, including the Anglican Bishop of Burnley, Philip North.

He said: 'This approach at Accrington Crematorium is symptomatic of actions often taken by secular authorities to strip away the outward signs of faith around us, but not for reasons the majority support.

'At the census a majority of people in Lancashire identified as Christian and many arriving at the crematorium will want, and indeed expect, the cross to be there to offer them comfort.

'Will the crematorium management proactively inform everyone they have the option to put the cross back up?

'If it's a funeral of someone of another faith or none, remove the cross by all means, but have it in place for the majority who will still expect to see it.

'I can't imagine many people would ever ask for the cross to be removed as it's a fairly traditional town.

'What I know is the power of symbol. The cross is a powerful symbol of the victory of life over death. People living with grief need that kind of symbol. The rituals around death are incredibly important.

'There are lots of people who say they are Christians but don't go to church, and the cross is even important to them. And many people wear a cross even if they don't attend church. It's a symbol of love.'

Hyndburn Tory group leader Peter Britcliffe said he was alarmed at its removal.

Councillor Britcliffe said: 'This is another example of the creeping madness of political correctness undermining the traditional Christian values of our society in East Lancashire.

'The correct default position is for the cross to be in the chapel unless those organising a funeral ask for it to be taken down.'

Since 1956, the religious symbol has been a permanent fixture at the crematorium, only removed if service organisers made such a request.

Following a £20,000 upgrade earlier this year, Hyndburn Council decided the cross should be removed and only restored at the request of a family wanting a Christian farewell for their loved one.

Hyndburn cemeteries boss Ken Moss said it reflected the growing number of humanist and non-religious funerals held at the Burnley Road venue.

Nearby councils in Blackburn, Burnley and Pendle all keep the cross in place at their funeral chapels unless asked to remove it by service organisers.

Councillor Moss said: 'The large wooden cross was taken down during the recent refurbishment of the crematorium chapel.

'General guidance for crematoria is the building should be non-denominational so that it has the flexibility to make all families welcome whatever their beliefs.

'Most people with religious beliefs have a church service first and then go to the crematorium for the committal.


Asylum bid by Libyans in sex rampage: Three soldiers jailed following night of vile assaults demand right to stay in the UK   

Three Libyans jailed for molesting women in a drunken rampage are seeking asylum in Britain.

The soldiers, who have served short sentences in UK prisons, are thought to be using legal aid to lodge their claims.

They say they risk persecution if sent home because their crimes have brought Libya into disrepute.The case shows yet again how human rights laws can scupper the deportation of foreign offenders.

In 2014 it emerged 100 war criminals had applied for asylum in the UK in the last 12 months, with nearly 800 asking the UK Border Agency to remain in this country over the last eight years.

There have been several high profile cases  - including one that may chime with the Libyan soldiers now seeking asylum.

A Libyan convicted of 78 offences escaped deportation last Febuary on the grounds he is an alcoholic. The 53-year-old man, who is protected by an anonymity order, successfully argued he would be tortured and imprisoned by the authorities in his homeland because drinking alcohol is illegal.

Iraqi Aso Mohammed Ibrahim left 12-year-old Amy Houston to die ‘like a dog’ under the wheels of his car after knocking her down in 2003 while banned from driving.  Twice refused asylum, he was never removed by the Home Office and, after the killing, was allowed to stay in the UK after serving a mere four months in jail because he had fathered two children here, which judges ruled gave him a right to a ‘family life’.

A Bangladeshi woman jailed for five years for stabbing her baby daughter with a kitchen knife in East London in 2009 won the right to stay in Britain so she could rebuild her relationship with the child.

The fiasco is also a blow to David Cameron who had said the soldiers should not be allowed to stay here.

In a book serialised by the Mail last week the Prime Minister was criticised by top brass for his 2011 Libyan intervention. That intervention led to the disastrous training scheme that brought the soldiers here and cost taxpayers £15million.

Richard Scorer, a solicitor representing one of the four women who were attacked, said: ‘She, like the other victims, assumed as soon as these men had completed their sentences they would be deported.

‘My client was dismayed and shocked to learn of the asylum applications. Like us, she is struggling to understand how men who came to this country as guests of our country and abused this hospitality could possibly be making these applications.

‘She, and we, think it is totally and utterly unacceptable.’ He said asylum applications were normally made on the basis that the applicant had a ‘general and justifiable fear of persecution in their home country’.

Lawyers representing the soldiers are also expected to argue their lives would be at risk from Islamic State fanatics in Libya.

Khaled El Azibi, Ibrahim Naji El Maarfi and Mohammed Abdalsalam were among 300 recruits who came to the UK under an arrangement to train them to restore security to their country. Two other cadets were jailed for 12 years each for raping a man in a park in Cambridge on the same day the women were sexually assaulted.

Cambridgeshire Police confirmed the three men have been released from prison and are being held at secure immigration units.

Even if their applications are unsuccessful they are likely to extend their time in the UK by months and possibly years – all at great cost.

Four Libyans applied for asylum before the training programme at ex-RAF Bassingbourn was closed down, bringing the total to seven.

Cambridge Labour MP Daniel Zeichner said: ‘It does seem possible that these people may not be sent back because it is not safe for them.

‘None of this would have happened if the MoD and Secretary of State for Defence hadn’t taken a gamble with people’s safety by letting these people out unsupervised in Cambridge.’

El Azibi, El Maarfi and Abdalsalam were aged 19, 21 and 27 respectively when they stole bicycles and rode into Cambridge on October 26 last year.

During a chaotic hour beginning at 10.30pm they approached one victim outside a pub and fondled her breasts and bottom. El Maarfi also exposed himself and tried to kiss her.

They cycled off when the pub manager confronted them But they touched another woman’s bottom before finding two more victims.

El Maarfi put his hand on the leg of one of the friends and tried to lift her skirt. When she objected, Abdalsalam committed a similar assault.

She called out to her friend for help but the other woman was being attacked by El Azibi.

El Azibi was given a 12-month jail term in May and the other men were handed ten-month sentences at Cambridge Crown Court.

The training programme was given the go-ahead despite a warning from the cross-Whitehall Libya security compact delivery group. It predicted recreational visits would ‘pose significant immigration, security and reputational risks’.

The Home Office said in a statement: ‘We will seek to remove any foreign national offender who receives a custodial sentence for a criminal offence.’ In 2011, Britain conducted air strikes to stop the slaughter of Libyan civilians in Benghazi. The intervention led to the collapse of the Gaddafi regime but the country has been in chaos ever since, with militias running amok.

Last October, a devastating National Audit Office report revealed the Home Office had lost track of 760 of the 4,200 foreign criminals who had been freed back on to our streets by the end of March 2014 pending their removal. They can rely on human rights laws to thwart deportation or, in some cases, simply vanish.


'Pink Hoods': Rapper Azealia Banks Likens LGBT Community to the Ku Klux Klan

Rapper Azealia Banks has sent out a series of tweets comparing the gay community to the Ku Klux Klan and calling gays weaklings who are easily offended.

The first tweet read: "LGBT community (GGGG) are like the gay KKK's. Get them some pink hoods and unicorns and let them rally down rodeo drive."

More tweets followed: "All I had to do was say one word and I moved a whole community. What weaklings!!!" "If I am to be part of an LGBT community I want to be in it with people who aren't weaklings or easily moved ya know." "You boys gotta toughen up!!! Don't be so weak! If one word can put your entire community in distress you're DOOMED." "Words are not tangible things. You all CHOOSE to get upset."

The tweets, sent out September 27, came after Banks was recently caught on tape using gay slurs on an airplane. She also recently said that women should be limited to three abortions.


No comments: